Friday, February 22, 2008

Searching the Psalms

A few weeks ago, as it was becoming more and more difficult to find "do not fear" verses I hadn't already posted, I started to wonder what on earth I was going to do with this blog. By last Sunday, Day 132, my quiver was empty (except for one verse that I'm saving for Easter). I was considering an examination of God's attributes, posting verses which define God's character and thus confirm the authority behind the exhortations we've been reading for the past four months. But then on Sunday, as I listened to Fr. Jon Robbins preach on Psalm 121, I was led in a different direction, and, having received further confirmation this past week that I'm on the right track, I'll continue this study by searching the Psalms and posting those which, either in part or in entirety, encourage us not to be afraid. While the verses posted to date include a few from the Psalms, I believe that reading them in context will prove to be a source of encouragement, strength and comfort. I'll continue to make an effort to post daily, though I will relax my perfectionist tendencies a little bit and not beat myself up when I miss a day or two.

So let's get right into it with Psalm 121:

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come? My help {comes} from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel Will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD is your keeper; The LORD is your shade on your right hand. The sun will not smite you by day, Nor the moon by night. The LORD will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul. The LORD will guard your going out and your coming in From this time forth and forever. "

No comments: